• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 barond

barond

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 04:03 PM

Aside from the physical & mental benefits that cycling affords me, one of the great things I enjoy about the sport is sharing of good conversation over a great coffee and a hearty breakfast be it a healthy option or something more decadent that suits the moment. In fact being honest, the promise of this social occasion is probably the driving force that encourages me to swing my legs out of bed at the ungodly hours we choose to participate in our sport, even when the body is in denial of the mind's need for this social interaction. When it comes to enjoying what is now a ritual I was a late bloomer, I never recognised cycling as a healthy pursuit, I only drank coffee with my after dinner Tawny Port, and healthy food options were deemed as anything edible and tasty. I was not in great shape, worked long hours, and when it came to life's burdens I was doing it solo.

Here I am 19 years later preaching the benefits of what we do to anyone who expresses an interest or desire to turn the clock back a tad, encouraging them to participate in an activity that will deliver their goals regardless of where they physically are now. Via our sport I am now a better person than I was physically, mentally, and personally, many life-long friendships have been forged and I know there will be other welcome alliances made going forward. On a bike we learn a lot about each other and around a coffee table the general banter and enthusiasm generated from an abundance of endorphin's and testosterone we forgot we possessed, can be life changing to say the least.

Having been cycling around Phuket for some six or more years it has amazed me that ride options on the island are both numerous and interesting with a multitude of terrains that would satisfy the needs of the most demanding or resting rider's needs. I share my chosen activity with a small bunch of similar minded people that hail from Australia, Europe and Thailand, and every morning ride is normally planned over our post-ride coffee stop prior to going our separate ways home or to work.

All the above being said a multitude of coffee shops have evolved throughout Thailand in the last four or five years and strangely enough that phenomenon coincides with the explosion of cycling activity levels that these "pit stops" attract. The upside for us cyclists is we get to plan our rides around these locations as either a mid-ride stop or an end of ride recovery feast but either way they are a preconceived destination. Testing the water of a new "pit stop" can be an enjoyable or disappointing experience but over time we have weeded out some "go to" places that meet our varying needs. I guess you could say that cycling has turned me into a bit of a "coffee snob" and like my friends around me choose to frequent places that complete the experience I now seek. Whilst we border on being "weekend warriors" we are serious about our sport, so where and what we eat is an important component in our endeavours to be the best we can be.

I want to share with you a little known location called "Coffee Cycle" that has recently opened it's doors and like it's name suggests has put an emphasis on attracting the cycling community complete with bike rack and a casual well ventilated setting. Check it out, you will not be disappointed, great coffee, good food.

Location address and link attached.

Wheels right way up. Ciao.

Coffee Cycle

Click Plaza, off Sunrise Road,

Chalong,

Phone: 088 753 5428

https://g.co/kgs/Y6sgko

https://plus.google....639790572763784

#2 JACKIEVS

JACKIEVS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:38 AM

Yes Phuket has great cycling potential... just a pity that most of the roads are clogged with cars and drivers using the shoulder as a lane...so sad... but unfortunately typical Thai driving behaviour ...

#3 barond

barond

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:34 PM

Yes Phuket has great cycling potential... just a pity that most of the roads are clogged with cars and drivers using the shoulder as a lane...so sad... but unfortunately typical Thai driving behaviour ...

#4 barond

barond

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:41 PM

Hi Jackie,
If all Thailand drivers are the same why single out Phuket as "a shame" to allow enjoying the sport? Having pedalled from Changmai to southern Thailand I would place Phuket as a "go to destination" if you can ride a bike in a straight line and abide by traffic rules.
Horses for courses I guess!!